History

Institute at a glance
eNewsJSI

More about the Institute
More about the Institute's reactor centre
More about physicist Jožef Stefan

Zgodovina/his1.jpg

From its earliest days the Institute has been actively involved in the field of medical science. In 1955, with the assistance of of its nuclear physicists, the first patient was treated with radiation therapy. Over the next twenty years, a further two thousand cancer patients were able to receive similar treatments.

Evolvement of research areas
History in brief
Jožef Stefan Days
Jožef Stefan Golden Emblem Prize


HISTORY IN BRIEF

1946

Decision taken by the Slovenian Academy of Science and Arts to build a Physics Institute

1949

Research connected to the peaceful use of atomic energy started, financed by the Federal Government

1952

Institute named the Jožef Stefan Physics Institute and moved to new laboratories on its present site

1954

The betatron and an electron microscope installed as the Institute's first major equipment

1956

Van de Graaff accelerator, constructed at the Institute, started operation

1958

Institute reorganised and new fields of activity defined: nuclear physics, solid state physics, chemistry, and radiobiology

1959

Institute renamed the Jožef Stefan Nuclear Institute. The major source of income was provided by the Yugoslav Atomic Energy Commission

1962

The first computer for research, ZUSE Z 23, installed

1962

One of the first compounds of a noble gas synthesised at the Institute

1966

Nuclear research reactor TRIGA starts operation

1968

The Republic of Slovenia becomes Institute's dominant source of research funding

1969

Nuclear omitted from the Institute's name

1970

University of Ljubljana becomes a co-founder of the Institute together with the federal Executive Council

1971

New unit INOVA established with the aim of applying the Institute's expertise and output to productive use in the national economy

1972

New computer Cyber 72 purchased, and the Republic Computer Centre established as an independent unit of the Institute

1974

Collaboration with the international centre CERN in the field of high energy physics started

1974

The group SEPO for evaluating environmental interventions is established

1979

Contract defining co-operation between the Institute and the Nuclear Power Plant Krško signed

1979

First robot in Slovenia constructed, named Goro-1

1982

Ecological Laboratory with Mobile Unit established as a special unit of the Slovenian Civil Protection Organisation

1983

Stefin, a cysteine proteinase inhibitor named after J. Stefan, was isolated and its primary structure determinated

1985

"2000 New Young Researchers project" established by the Slovenian Research Council

1986

Centre for Hard Coatings established by the Institute and the firm SMELT

1987

INEA established by the Institute as an independent company, to promote technology transfer in the fields of cybernetics and energy management

1988

Milan Čopič Nuclear Training Centre established

1990

The first Slovenian supercomputer CONVEX at the Institute

1990

Construction of new laboratories completed

1992

The Institute reconstructed by the Slovenian Government as a public research institution

1992

J. Stefan Technology Park founded, later become the Ljubljana Technology Park

1995

The Institute is a co-founder of the international postgraduate school for environmental sciences, the Polytechnic Nova Gorica

1995

Research institutes in Velenje, ERICo, and in Valdoltra established by the Institute

1997

3.5 MeV electrostatic accelerator Tendetron installed

2003

The Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School established

2005

Institute coordinated four national centres of excellence



J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia, Telephone: +386 1 477 39 00, Fax: +386 1 251 93 85
info@ijs.si