At the 11th International Conference on Technology Transfer (ITTC), the international evaluation commission for Best Invention / Innovation with the commercial potential in 2018 has rewarded two contributions: KATRI: Anti-fouling and corrosion protection top-coat by Damir Hamulić, Peter Rodič, Dolores Zimerl and Ingrid Milošev from the Department of Physical and Organic Chemistry (K-3) and The ultimate European Assistant for the Elderly by Jani Bizjak, Anton Gradišek and Matjaž Gams from the Intelligent Systems Department (E-9). The conference was held between 8 and 12 October at the IJS and was an excellent opportunity for research teams to present their scientific results, products or prototype as entrepreneurial ideas.
The authors of the poster »The self-healing effect of hybrid sol-gel coatings based on CeO2 nanoparticles modified with Ce3+ ions applied to AA7075-T6« U. Tiringer and G. Šekularac were awarded the "Young Author's EFC Poster Prize EUROCORR 2018" rewarded by the European Federation of Corrosion. The authors developed a hybrid sol-gel coating based on precursors (3-glicidyloxypropyl) trimethoxysilane (GPTMS), tetraethyl orthosilicate (TEOS), and SiO2 nanoparticles. Coatings were added by CeO2 nanoparticles and cerium nitrate (Ce(NO3)3) for better corrosion properties of the coating. The addition of CeO2 nanoparticles in combination with Ce(NO3)3 in the coating improves its corrosion properties and provides the effect of self-healing.
- From 9th to 13th September 2018 we participated at EUROCORR 2018 which is the largest event in the field of corrosion protection in Europe. We presented seven contributions: five oral presentations and two posters, and for two additional oral presentations we were coauthors:
- M. Poberžnik, D. Costa, A. Kokalj: »Bonding of silanols to oxidized aluminium surfaces: an insight from DFT modeling« (lecture)
- I. Milošev, B. Kapun, U. Tiringer, D. Hamulić, D. Zimerl, G. Šekularac, P. Rodič, S. Zanna, A. Seyeux, P. Marcus: »Field testing of different sol-gel coatings on aluminium alloys suitable for marine applications« (lecture)
- I. Milošev, D. Zimerl, S. Zanna, A. Seyeux, J. Iskra, S. Stavber, M. Poberznik, A. Nemes, D. Costa, J. Rabai, A. Kokalj, P. Marcus: »The effect of anchor group and backbone chain on performance of organic compounds as corrosion inhibitors for aluminium investigated using iterative experimental-modeling approach« (lecture)
- P. Rodič, I. Milošev, M. Lekka, F. Andreatta, L. Fedrizzi: »Corrosion protection of AA2024-T3 by »smart« coatings« (lecture)
- A. Kokalj, M. Lozinšek, B. Kapun, P. Taheri, S. Neupane, P. Losada-Perez, C. Xie, P. Bruna, E. Pineda, S. Stavber, D. Crespo, F.U. Renner, A. J.M.C. Mol, I. Milošev: »A combined experimental and modeling search for corrosion inhibitor descriptors: functionalized azole molecules as potential corrosion inhibitors for Cu and Zn« (lecture)
U. Tiringer, G. Šekularac, I. Milošev: »The self-healing effect of hybrid sol-gel coatings based on CeO2 nanoparticles modified with Ce3+ ions applied on AA7075-T6« (poster)
G. Šekularac, I. Milošev: »Investigation of zirconium-based conversion coatings applied on aluminium alloy ENAC-AlSi7Mg0.3« (poster)
- P. Taheri, O. Bottazzi, I. Milošev, A. Kokalj, J.M.C. Mol: »Corrosion inhibitors of copper, zinc and copper-zinc alloys, using imidazole-based compounds with different functional groups« (lecture)
- D. Costa, P. Cornette, M. Poberžnik, A. Kokalj, S. Zanna, A. Seyeux, I. Milošev, P. Marcus: »Self-assembly of linear carboxylic acids on an Al surface and its effect on corrosion inhibition: insight from modelling and experiment« (lecture)
Journal of The Electrochemical Society published the review on conversion coatings based on zirconium and/or titanium written by I. Milošev and G.S. Frankel (Fontana Corrosion Center, The Ohio State University, USA). Conversion coatings based on Zr or Ti seem to be a good choice as an alternative technology to legacy chromate and phosphate conversion coatings associated with the health and environmental issues. This literature review summarizes the scientific results in this rapidly growing area of research. Following the description of composition of conversion bath and deposition mechanism, the effects of process parameters for conversion baths are presented together with coating characteristics such as composition, morphology and thickness. The effects of the type of substrate and substrate pre-treatment are explored for the most-studied substrates. The corrosion performance of the conversion coatings is discussed, as well as adhesion of organic coatings. Advantages and potential drawbacks are also presented. This review paper was the most-downloaded article in the topical area Corrosion Science and Technology.
COIN DESC and COR_ID project teams organized the CorrTalk workshop, dedicated to integrative approaches to corrosion research. The workshop took place in Ljubljana (Slovenia) from 11 to 13 June 2018. More info about the workshop is available at the workshop web-page: corrtalk2018.ijs.si