PhD student position
We are looking for an early-stage researcher the development of inorganic and hybrid coatings by ALD method for targeted applictions. The position is part of an European ITN network consisting of 15 PhD students enrolled at different universities and institutes across Europe called mCBEEs. The mCBEEs consortium aims to implement research related to corrosion on the microscale in applications linked to electronics, energy and biomaterials. Each PhD student in the consortium will focus on a specific project but will interact with others. Inside the consortium the students will attend common training activities and networking events.
The research subject for the PhD candidate at the Jožef Stefan Institute (JSI) is focused on inorganic ALD oxide coatings (e.g. HfO2, ZnO, Al2O3, ZrO2, TiO2) and hybrid multilayer coatings using ALD and sol-gel deposition. Their physicochemical and protective properties will be characterized at both the micro- and the nano-scale using different techniques (FIB, AFM, Raman, iR, etc) as a function of deposition parameters. Two types of coatings will be developed aiming at applications in (i) biomedical devices, where coatings with potential antibacterial ability to reduce incidence of bacterial infection of implanted biomedical devices will be developed, and (ii) electronic components requiring the protective coatings when exposed to potentially harsh environments.
The position involves a three year employment contract at JSI, Department of Physical and Organic Chemistry, with the goal to obtain a PhD. The candidate will be enrolled at the Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School that will give the degree.
The training network is funded by the European Commission which has defined the following eligibility criteria:
- Academic exam of minimum 240 ECTS in with a Master degree or equivalent engineering graduate specialized in e.g. chemistry, materials science, physics or similar.
- Academic exam not older than 4 years at the time of employment.
You have not resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Slovenia for more than 12 months in the last 3 years prior to recruitment
The network programme intends to have a good balance between genders.
Description of competences
- Good English skills in conversation and writing.
- Laboratory experience in electrochemistry and materials characterization is preferred.
- Strong interest and ability to interact with people from different environments and cultures are expected.
More information about the mCBEEs training network is available here.
Contact person at JSI: Head of Physical and Organic Chemistry Department, professor Ingrid Milošev, email@example.com,+386 77 34 52.
How to apply?
- Your application should include: CV, personal presentation letter including motivation and interests (max 1 page), references, diploma including list of courses and marks, short presentation of thesis work (max 1 page).
Application for the position is coordinated through the mCBEEs network and must be send both to mCBEEs on www.mcbees.eu and to JSI (sent by e-mail as a single, compact PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- According to European rules, this position must be open for at least two months.
The application deadline is the 1st of February, 2018