PhD student position will be announced in mid-2018
In mid-2018 we will call for an early-stage researcher position that is part of an European ITN network consisting of 15 PhD students enrolled at different universities, institutes and non-academic partners across Europe called MAMI. The project consortium has aim to bridge the research fields of fluidics and magnetism, by taking advantage of magnetic forces to control local flows and cargo transport inspired by biomimetic systems. Using magnetic sources, as well as high magnetic susceptibility liquids or nanostructures, devices with unique anti-fouling properties and non-slip boundary conditions can be realized. The advantage of proposed approach will be reflected in creating new industrial applications of microfluidic technology for life sciences. Over the course of their projects, early stage researchers based in academic institutions will experience working environments in at least 3 different countries. Each PhD student in consortium will focus on a specific project but will interact with the others. Inside the consortium the students will attend common training activities and networking events.
The research subject for the PhD candidate at Jožef Stefan Institute (JSI) will be based on chemical expertise devoted mainly into preparation/manufacture magnetic materials following by electrochemical characterization and material testing. More details will be available later.
The position will be a three year employment contract at JSI, Department of Physical and Organic Chemistry, with the goal to reach the PhD title. The candidate will be enrolled at the Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School that will give the degree.
The training network will be funded by the European Commission which has defined the following eligibility criteria:
- Academic exam of minimum 240 ECTS in with Master degree or equivalent engineering graduate specialized in e.g. chemistry, materials science, physics or similar
- Academic exam not older than 4 years at the time of employment
- Candidate have not resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Slovenia for more than 12 months in the last 3 years prior to their recruitment.
The network programme intends to have a good balance between genders.
Description of competences
- Good English skills in conversation and writing
- Laboratory experience in electrochemistry and materials characterization is preferred
- Strong interest and ability to interact with people from different environments and cultures are expected.
Contact person at JSI: Head of Physical and Organic Chemistry Department, professor Ingrid Milošev, firstname.lastname@example.org,+386 77 34 52.
How to apply?
- The application will need the following attachments: CV, personal presentation letter including motivation and interests (max 1 page), references, diploma including list of courses and marks, short presentation of thesis work (max 1 page)
Application for the position will be coordinated through the MAMI network submitting both to the MAMI project web site and to the JSI coordinator:email@example.com
- According to European rules, the position must be open for at least two months before the application deadline.