INORGANIC CHEMISTRY AND TECHNOLOGY - K1
- Synthesis and characterization of high energy oxidizers
- Synthesis and characterization of new coordination compounds with binary fluorides as ligands
- Preparation of inorganic materials with interesting electrical and catalytic properties
- Processes and syntheses in plasma
- Monitoring and determining different pollutants in the living and working environment
- Technological research for sustainable development (cleaning waste gases, incineration of wastes)
- Modelling and optimization with chemometric methods (artificial neural network, genetic algorithms).
- Risk assessments regarding major accident hazards involving dangerous substances
Head of Department
Asst. Prof. Gašper Tavčar, email@example.com
Tine Oblak, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: (01) 477 36 46
Fax: (01) 477 31 55
The research work of the Department of Inorganic Chemistry and Technology includes the following fields: a.) Synthesis of inorganic compounds, b.) Inorganic materials with special properties, c.) Technological research for sustainable development and d.) Popularization of natural sciences through additional education in chemistry.
The important parts of the research in the field of the syntheses of inorganic compounds are: synthesis and characterization of new coordination compounds with fluoride ligands, e.g. XeF2, XeF4, KrF2, AsF3, HF etc., synthesis of ternary fluorides with metathetical reactions and the use of photochemical reactions and elemental fluorine for the preparation of new and also known binary and ternary fluorides with transition element in high oxidation state.
In the group of inorganic materials with special properties the research in the following fields should be mentioned: synthesis and characterization of carbon fluorides and intercalated graphites which are used as materials for the anodes in lithium batteries, synthesis of new fluorinated fullerenes, preparation and characterization of surface active inorganic materials based on oxides, oxide-fluorides or fluorides with corresponding morphology, texture and surface and mechanical properties. In this case acidic heterogeneous catalysts are thought which are potentially useful in some important industrial reactions. Here the structural characterization of ionic liquids should be mentioned. They could be used as electrolytes and catalysts.
Important fields of the technological research for sustainable development are: cleaning of waste gases with emphasis on flue gas desulphurization, formation prevention and removal of pollutants produced at waste incineration, the use of wastes as raw materials, risk assessment because of accidents with dangerous chemicals, the use of chemometric methods at the analysis of environmental data, at the analysis of the processional parameters and at the preparation of hybrid models. Specific pollutants are monitored in the environment and in the food chain.
The popularization of natural sciences includes different demonstration activities and work with primary and secondary school students in the frame of the School of experimental chemistry.