ENGINEERING CERAMICS - K6
- Multi-functional composite materials on the basis of carbon fibres, carbon, silicon carbide and silicon
- Layered composites with ribbon-like structure
- Hidrolyis of the AlN powder
ZrO2 dental ceramics
Mechanical properties of the Al2O3-ZrO2 composites
- Development of the C/C composite with the SiC protective layer for the production of braking discs and antiballistic composites with ceramic matrix on the basis of SiC
- Behaviour of bio-ceramic materials in the simulated body liquid
- Electrically conducting non-oxide ceramic composites
- Synthesis of nano-structure ceramic layers with controlled precipitation
Head of Department
Prof. Tomaž Kosmač, Ph. D., email@example.com
Telephone: +386 1 477 32 27
Mojca Hren, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +386 1 477 38 90
Fax: +386 1 477 31 71
Preparation of various layered composites with wavy ribbon-like microstructure: (Ca3(PO4)2/ZrO2, Al2(TiO3)3/mullite, Al2O3/Ni, BaTiO3/Ni, etc.) by repeated folding and rolling of laminates of parrafin-based pastes and subsequential sintering. Goal: improvement of mechanical/electrical characteristics in comparison to particulate composites.
Study of the hydrolysis of various powder, such as AlN. Preparation of nano-structure ceramic layers (Al2O3, TiO2, SiO2, Ca3(PO3)2, hydroxy-apathite, etc.) on ceramic or metal substrates. Goal: applicability of such layers in medicine and engineering.
Dental ZrO2 ceramics: pre-clinical testing of prototype dental posts with a core for fixing the prosthetic crown – sand blasting, diamond grinding and fatique. Goal: improvement of the strength and fatique resistance.
Study of the origin of tunneling cracks and increasing of the bending strength of homogeneous and layered particulate Al2O3/Al2O3-ZrO2 composites, fabricated by slip-casting method. Connection: European project »Increasing the performance of total replacement prosthesis through functionally graded material innovation and design«.
- Research of the C/C composite with the surface protected by the SiC layer. Goal: the use of such composite for the production of braking discs for sports motorcycles, sports cars and aeroplanes. Development of multilayered SiC composite for antiballistic protection.
Research of very hard composite materials on the basis of AlMgB14-xTiB2 (x = 0,05-0,3). Synthesis of this compound by reaction sintering of the following elements and compounds: B, Al, Mg, TiB2, AlB12, MgB2.
- Application and development projects in collaboration with industry:
- AET, Tolmin: improvement of the wear resistance and cost reduction of the ceramics fabrication; development of the ceramic composites for the production of a new generation of glow plugs for Diesel engines
- MS Production, Bled: prototype ceramic braking discs with low thermal conductivity and good resistance to thermal shocks